Dr. Cory Dobbs is the Founder & President of The Academy for Sport Leadership. A former basketball coach, Cory’s coaching background includes experience at the NCAA DII, NJCAA, and high school levels of competition. Cory has worked with collegiate athletic programs and high schools teaching leadership and team building as a part of the sports experience and education process. Cory is an accomplished researcher of human experience–a relentless investigator of team building and leadership behavior. A skilled researcher, Cory actively engages the process of naturalistic inquiry seeking in-depth understanding of social phenomena such as leadership and team building in their natural setting. A “teamologist,” Dr. Dobbs is an author, speaker, teacher, trainer and a consultant. Cory has been a recognized educator teaching at institutions such as Northern Arizona University, Ohio University, and Grand Canyon University.
In today’s episode, we discuss:
- Ways coaches can better develop their team leadership
- How parents can help their child be a better leader
- Why we need a leader in every locker room
- What his thoughts on captains are
Books, Resources, and Links Mentioned in the Podcast
- Coaching for Leadership: How to Develop a Leader in Every Locker
- Becoming a Team Leader: A Workbook for Student-Athletes
- Release Your Team’s Potential: 5 Practices for Transforming the Cohesiveness, Confidence, and Commitment of Your Team
- Scrimmage! Key Practices for Deliberately Developing Tean Leaders
Cory recommends the following books . . .
- Holacracy: The New Management System for a Rapidly Changing World by Brian Robertson
- Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game by Michael Lewis
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World by Cal Newport
Cory enjoys listening to Malcolm Gladwell’s Podcast.
This Episode is Sponsored By Audible
Today’s podcast is brought to you by audible – get a FREE audiobook download and 30-day free trial (new subscribers only) at www.audibletrial.com/SuccessIsAChoice. Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player. Get a free audio book download from our friends at Audible. Choose an audio book from one of our many past guests including Kevin Harrington, Kelly Roach, Jeremie Kubicek, Micheal Burt, Bob Burg, Lolly Daskal, Larry Winget, and Pat Williams.
Rate and Review
Please consider rating the podcast with 5 stars and leaving a quick review on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are the lifeblood of a podcast. This helps tremendously in bringing the podcast to the attention of others.
You can tell your friends on Twitter about this episode by sharing the tweet below or spreading the word by using the share buttons below.
Thanks again for listening and remember that “Success is a choice. What choice will you make today?”