Jacqie McWilliams became the first female commissioner of the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association in 2012. As the first African American female commissioner in the NCAA, McWilliams is a sought after speaker and is recognized on a local, regional, and national level. She has served on numerous boards, and currently sits on Collegiate Women’s Sports Awards, John B. McLendon Foundation Board, NCAA Board of Governor’s Cultural Diversity Committee, Hampton Nation Advisory Board, M&F Advisory Board and the Black Enterprise Charlotte Convention Steering Committee. She is active in her church community and chairs the HBCU initiative committee for the Crown Jewel’s LINKS of Charlotte, of which she is a member.
The CIAA conference, based in Charlotte, N.C., consists of 13 Division II institutions. Twelve of those schools are historically black colleges and universities. The annual CIAA basketball tournament, the largest of 16 CIAA championships in a variety of sports, features 22 men’s and women’s games in the same week. It generates more than $55 million in economic impact for the host city. McWilliams earned a bachelor’s in psychology from Hampton University, where she played basketball and volleyball. She earned a master’s in sports management and administration from Temple University and went on to work as a college coach and administrator for the NCAA.
- The importance of Historically Black Colleges & Universities on student’s lives
- How the CIAA is impacting student-athletes
- Career advice for the athletic administration path
- … and so much more!!!
Resources, Books, and Links
CIAA Website: Theciaa.com
CIAA Instagram: @CIAAsports
CIAA Twitter: @CIAAForLife
CIAA Facebook: Facebook.com/TheCIAA
CIAA Youtube: Youtube.com/user/TheCIAA
Articles of interest …
- The Business Journals: FIRST THINGS FIRST: Running point for one of college basketball’s biggest events
- Women Leaders In College Sports: Jacqie McWilliams /// Commissioner /// Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (DII)
Recommended Books …
- Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action by Simon Sinek
- The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren
- The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results by Gary Keller
Past “Success is a Choice” podcast episodes of interest . . .
- Kara Lawson (WNBA star and NBA broadcaster) – Episode 113
- Jon Gordon (author of “The Energy Bus”) – Episode 100
- Tim Hall (Director of Athletics at UMBC) – Episode 095
- Sue Enquist (Hall of Fame Softball Coach at UCLA) – Episode 077
- Curtis Hollomon (NCAA Director of Leadership Development) – Episode 064
- Tim Selgo (3x National Athletic Director of the Year) – Episode 052
- Alicia Jessop (RulingSports.com) – Episode 047
- Celia Slater (Founder of True North Sports & the Alliance of Women’s Coaches) – Episode 030
- Kevin Harrington (Original Shark on “Shark Tank”) – Episode 021
- Dwane Casey (2018 NBA Coach of the Year) – Episode 001
Jacqie McWilliams in Action
This Episode is Sponsored By Audible
Today’s podcast is brought to you by audible – get a FREE audiobook download and 30-day free trial (new subscribers only) at www.audibletrial.com/SuccessIsAChoice. Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player. Our friends at audible are offering a free download of some of our past guests including Todd Gongwer, Kevin Harrington, Lolly Daskal, Bob Burg, Amy Morin, Michael Burt, Larry Winget, Jon Gordon, and Pat Williams. Take advantage of this great deal by visiting www.AudibleTrial.com/SuccessIsAChoice.
Rate and Review
Please consider rating the podcast with 5 stars and leaving a quick review on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are the lifeblood of a podcast. This helps tremendously in bringing the podcast to the attention of others.
You can tell your friends on Twitter about this episode by sharing the tweet below or spreading the word by using the share buttons below.
Thanks again for listening and remember that “Success is a choice. What choice will you make today?”